Wednesday, August 19, 2015

READY PLAYER ONE by ERNEST CLINE ; Book Review

Publisher: Broadway books
Publication date: June 5th 2012
Format: Paperback
Number of pages: 372
Goodreads description: It's the year 2044, and the real world is an ugly place. 

Like most of humanity, Wade Watts escapes his grim surroundings by spending his waking hours jacked into OASIS, a sprawling virtual utopia that lets you be anything you want to be, a place where you can live and play and fall in love on any of ten thousand planets.

And like most of humanity, Wade dreams of being the one to discover the ultimate lottery ticket that lies concealed within this virtual world. For somewhere inside this giant networked playground, OASIS creator James Halliday has hidden as series of fiendish puzzles that will yield massive fortune- and remarkable power- to whoever can unlock them.

For years, millions have struggles fruitlessly to attain this prize, knowing only that Halliday's riddles are based in the pop culture he loved - that of the late twentieth century. And for years, millions have found in his quest another means of escape, retreating into happy, obsessive study of Halliday's icons. Like many of his contemporaries, Wade is as comfortable debating the finer points of James Hughes's oeuvre, playing Pac-Man, or reciting Devo lyrics as he is scrounging power to run his OASIS rig. 

And then Wade stumbles upon the first puzzle

Suddenly the whole world is watching, and thousands of competitors join the hunt- among them certain powerful players who are willing to commit very real murder to beat Wade to win this prize. Now the only way for Wade to survive and preserve everything he knows is to win. But to do so, he may have to leave behind his oh-so-perfect virtual existence and face up to life- and love- in the real world he's always been so desperate to escape.

A world at stake
A quest for the ultimate prize.
Are you ready?

Man, what a great read.

I fell in love with our main character, Wade Watts. He's not the perfect character that I first thought he would be. He's flawed. He's a very realistic character, and I relate to him. a lot. (in terms of staying home all the time and barely getting any heat from the sun. and just by being a nerd in general)

What I like most about his character is that he respects what others believe in and he tries to look on the bright side. He's not a judgemental dude and I appreciate that. Here's one scene wherein he tries to look on the bright side and just appreciates what he has:
I tried to look on the bright side, to remind myself that, orphaned or not, I was still better off than most of the kids in Africa. And Asia. And North America too. I'd always had a roof over my head and more than enough food to eat. And I had the OASIS. My life wasn't so bad. 


That scene hit me in the feels. I don't know why but I love those kind of people. Tears are in my eyes. (I didn't cry in this book, just so you know)

I admire his determination. I mean, I would've given up on the first week or so >.<
but there was one part of the book wherein his "fighting spirit" died down. It was because of some girl.

COME ON! GET YOUR HEAD BACK IN THE GAME!
but that "fighting-spirit-died-down" moment  passed as some sense was punched into his face. YEY. 

Moving on, this book showed awesome character diversity. I don't want to say anything more than that (on that character diversity topic) because I would spoil you :) but yeah, there are a great cast of characters that you'll grow to love. 

GREAT WORLD BUILDING. Seriously, I had no questions or whatsoever about the world. Ernest Cline introduces us to the world with ease. It felt like I have lived there for years! The plot was also amazing! The mystery is always present and you have no idea of what's going to happen next.

Even if you're not a gamer you will easily flow with the story. I'm not a gamer, I don't even know a single game that was used as reference in this book. Ashamed I am. The references, that was used in this novel, was not there just for being there. They were connected to the plot itself. Which was great. But there were times that I find myself falling out of the story because of those 80's pop culture references, because I don't understand some stuff, even though Ernest Cline explains everything so well. 

It is very evident that so much work and research went into this book. Ernest Cline proved himself a professional nerd. I pull a thumbs up on that.

I was not fan of the romance at first, but loved it afterwards. The love interest was redeemable lmao. I wish there was an epilogue though!! I BADLY NEED AN EPILOGUE. I NEED MORE FROM THIS BOOK (in a good way) 
If you haven't read this book.
 Then:

This world that Ernest Cline has created will captivate you. Time to unleash your nerdy side. Fasten your seat belt for the best ride of your life!! 


4.5/5 BANANAS




No comments:

Post a Comment