Thursday, July 2, 2015

The Dream Thieves by Maggie Stiefvater ; Book Review

Publication Date: September 17th 2013
Publisher: Scholastic Press
Format: Hardcover
Number of Pages: 439 
Goodreads Description: If you could steal things from dreams, what would you take?

Ronan Lynch has secrets. Some he keeps from others. Some he keeps from himself.

One secret: Ronan can bring things out of his dreams.

And sometimes he's not the only one who wants those things.
Ronan is one of the raven boys—a group of friends, practically brothers, searching for a dead king named Glendower, who they think is hidden somewhere in the hills by their elite private school, Aglionby Academy. The path to Glendower has long lived as an undercurrent beneath town. But now, like Ronan's secrets, it is beginning to rise to the surface—changing everything in its wake. 


* * * * *

This is the second book in The Raven Cycle, if you haven't read the first book, what are you doing here? Go away! You don't want to spoil yourself in this wonderful book. 

This book focuses more on Ronan. His past, his family and his abilities. This book was so fascinating. If you weren't fascinated just by the description of it, I don't know what will. I really like Ronan just from the first book. He's such a complex character. I still don't understand him up to this point, even after reading this book. He's just very, confusing.

This is the part wherein the ''confusing'' thing will take over this review. There was a lot of times that my face would turn like this:

This series, not just this book, is confusing as hell. There's a lot of alien words that you'll encounter in this book. The first book also had a wide vocabulary but on this one, expect to have a dictionary by your side all the time. I also get confused, sometimes, with Ronan's decisions and actions. 

Ronan, please explain these actions of yours. But at the end I understood a part of why he does what he does, some were unclear and I didn't get the full thought of them. 

"What is happening in this chapter?" happens a lot to me in this book. (And the first book too but that's a different story.) I sometimes have to read a passage over and over to get the gist of it. 

Setting that ''confused'' thing aside. Maggie knows how to make a character that will fill you with hatred. This character is relevant with the whole plot of the story (I won't tell you who he is, find him by yourself). The first time he popped out of a scene, I thought he was irrelevant and I should forget him but then BAM he punches you in the face with twists and turns. I love it.
Basically, there's a lot of: 

I loved the fact that this book is plot driven but a character driven book as well. If you read my review of the Raven Boys, I didn't like Adam as much. I didn't like him on this book either. BUT I SAW HIS CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT in the course of this book and it was awesome. 

My love for Gansey has expanded while reading this book. I really enjoyed his scenes and the scenes with his family. By seeing Gansey's family, I came into a conclusion that not all rich families are greedy and just plain money seekers. Some are kind and truly cares for others, whom are not blood related.

I wish there was more Gansey and Blue moments. I ship them. Hard. I know this book is focused more on Ronan, but I just wish we get like 5 scenes of just two of them moments. I guess, I'll get my SHIP HAS SAILED MOMENTS on the next books.

The puzzle wasn't complete in this book. There were still a lot of questions in my mind that wasn't answered. I just wish there was a full resolution on the other characters. There was a scene, that is supposed to be climactic but it didn't feel that thrilling for me. The story paints well in my head but I just didn't feel that "BOOM BAM WOW" in that scene.

Overall, this book was really good. Really mind blowing and distracting. If you want to know what will happen after The Raven Boys left off with a cliff hanger, read this. If you are curious on why Ronan is what he is, read this. JUST READ THIS, okay?


4 BANANAS

No comments:

Post a Comment