Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Falling Kingdoms by Morgan Rhodes ; Book Review

Publication date: March 11th 2012
Publisher: Razorbill
Format: Paperback
Number of Pages: 448
Goodreads Description: AURANOS - Privileged Princess Cleo is forced to confront violence for the first time in her life when a shocking murder sets her kingdom on a path to collapse.

LIMEROS - The king’s son, Magnus, must plan each footstep with shrewd, sharp guile if he is to earn his powerful father’s trust, while his sister, Lucia, discovers a terrifying secret about her heritage that will change everything.

PAELSIA - Rebellious Jonas lashes out against the forces of oppression that have kept his country cruelly impoverished—and finds himself the leader of a people’s revolution centuries in the making.

Witches, if found, are put to death, and Watchers, immortal beings who take the shape of hawks to visit the human world, have been almost entirely forgotten. A vicious power struggle quickly escalates to war, and these four young people collide against each other and the rise ofelementia, the magic that can topple kingdoms and crown a ruler in the same day.

* * * * *

I bought this book as soon I saw it on the shelves of my local bookstore. I thank +gingerreadslainey and +Riley Marie for introducing me into this wonderful book. 

I was a bit hesitant in starting this book because I heard that it's similar to game of thrones in a way. And I'm very intimidated by that series. Like very intimidated. I heard that GoT has a big cast of characters, so I expected that this book would be too. And it totally did. This book has a table of characters in the first pages! That was really funny and helpful at the same time. 

Falling Kingdoms follows the story of 3 characters. These 3 main characters live in a world wherein magic was long forgotten.  The land was divided into three, and these divisions try to take over all the lands and grasp and unimaginable power. Amidst all of these, the characters' lives from the three divisions intertwined. 

The world building was on point! For a big world , Morgan Rhodes did a great job in introducing us to the culture and the different places that were in this book. Morgan Rhodes describes in a way that the readers can easily visualize  what she's trying to say. 

The characters were amazing. There's such a diverse and complex cast of characters that you grow to love and hate.  This book follows multiple perspectives, since it has a big cast of characters, but it was done very well. You won't get confused on who's who 'cause  Morgan Rhodes does a great job in creating different personalities and different voices of the characters. 

And also, it was nice to see a one's character's perspective about another character. You grow to understand why they hate the certain character, you get to understand every point of view even those who hate one another.  (ex. Princess Cleo is a flawed character but you would still find her likable, until you get to see through the eyes of another character, Jonas)

The plot was always moving and it's well done. You easily get lost in the world Morgan Rhodes has created and you get invested into it more. 

Morgan Rhodes knows how to pull a reader's emotions. You know that feeling that you get when reading a book? That ''My chest feels heavy and I'm having trouble breathing'' feel. That happened a lot of times on this book. Funny thing is, I CRIED in this book. 
 *YOU WHAT?*

Yep, I cried. That's a rare thing for me. It happens once in a blue moon, it's not even funny. So when that happens, expect that I really liked the book. It adds a star, because the author was able to pull my deep feelings. 

The only thing that removed half a star from my rating is that some parts were a bit, predictable. I wasn't really blown away by some of the revealing moments. But of course, I didn't find everything predictable, some parts really took me from my seat. 

By that being said, this was a great and fast read. Morgan Rhodes has created a story that will get readers hooked to the first page till the last one. I recommend this book to everyone. 


4.5 BANANAS

No comments:

Post a Comment