Friday, July 3, 2015

REBEL SPRINGS by MORGAN RHODES ; Book Review

Publisher: Razorbill
Publication date: November 27th 2013
Format: Paperback
Number of Pages: 416
Goodreads description: The sensational high fantasy series that is  like Game of Thrones for teens

Auranos has been conquered and the three kingdoms—Auranos, Limeros, and Paelsia—are now unwillingly united as one country called Mytica. But alluring, dangerous magic still beckons, and with it the chance to rule not just Mytica, but the world. . . .

CLEO is now a prisoner in her own palace, forced to be an ambassador for Mytica as the evil King Gaius lies to her people 


MAGNUS stands to eventually inherit the new kingdom but is still obsessed with his feelings for his adopted sister, Lucia

 LUCIA is haunted by the deadly outcome of her breathtaking display of magic that allowed her father to capture the kingdoms 

JONAS watches at the palace gates, a troop of rebels behind him, waiting for him to tell them how he plans to overtake King Gaius

 When Gaius announces that a road is to be built into the Forbidden Mountains, formally linking all of Mytica together, he sets off a chain of cataclysmic events that will forever change the face of this land.

* * * * *

I need a minute to compose myself. 


what. a . good. book. scratch that, what a good series! It took me some time to read this because I have been busy with school but If school wasn't that hectic, I would just fly through this. I don't even know where to begin!

King Gaius took the throne of the dead King, Cleo's father. He now , reigns over Mytica, since the divided lands were now one. He announces that a road is to be built, linking all of Mytica together. But of course, blood is spilled in the process. 

Let's talk about characters. I loathe King Gaius. Morgan Rhodes knows how to make a villain. I don't know if he has a heart. What drives him to make such decisions? I don't know. I wish we would see more about his past, because there must be a reason for his evilness, right? 

Oh, Magnus. He's such a complex character. I have a love-hate relationship with this guy. But I'm leaning to the love side more. I understand his intentions and why he puts on a mask all the time but there are times that I don't understand him. I really want to see more from him in the next books. 

Cleo's character development in these books are astounding. She's very clever and brave. Brave in the sense that she does not easily break down into tears when thinking about her passed loved ones. She's brave in the inside. I have an advice for Cleo that could help her in the next books, please learn how to fight. I wish she would learn how to defend herself. I understand that she's a princess and princesses don't really know how to fight. But please, just learn the basics. 

From the start, I never liked Lucia. Never did. Never will. Her supposed to be character development turned into the opposite direction. 
 Nope. Just No. And did I mention, she got all ''insta lovey'' with her love interest. 


Jonas totally passed the character development stage! At first he does not think of his actions very well. But then, a new character guided him in the right path and knocked some sense into him. 

Phew, there's a lot of characters that needs to be talked about! (That's why it's called the ''Game Of Thrones for Teens. Too many characters. And too many deaths.)

 Oh, did I mention that this book has a lot of deaths happening? Yup it has. 


I was too attached to these characters then BAM. Dead. So much twists happening, I lost count. 

In this book, you will get more into the magic system. And that there's more empires (?), not just Mytica! How awesome is that?! 

Morgan Rhode's writing is so beautiful. She's very descriptive but not to the point that it's already annoying. She writes scenes that are easy to visualize and understand. She knows how to make amazing characters and how to interweave great subplots. A great Plot driven and character driven book!

I have one last thing to say:

(Sorry for this harsh GIF)


4.5/5 BANANAS




No comments:

Post a Comment