Monday, May 4, 2015

FIRE & FLOOD BY VICTORIA SCOTT; BOOK REVIEW


Publisher: Scholastic
Publication date: February 25th 2014
Number of Pages: 320
Format: Paperback
Goodreads Description: Time is slipping away.... 

Tella Holloway is losing it. Her brother is sick, and when a dozen doctors can't determine what's wrong, her parents decide to move to Montana for the fresh air. She's lost her friends, her parents are driving her crazy, her brother is dying—and she's helpless to change anything.

Until she receives mysterious instructions on how to become a Contender in the Brimstone Bleed. It's an epic race across jungle, desert, ocean, and mountain that could win her the prize she desperately desires: the Cure for her brother's illness. But all the Contenders are after the Cure for people they love, and there's no guarantee that Tella (or any of them) will survive the race.

The jungle is terrifying, the clock is ticking, and Tella knows she can't trust the allies she makes. And one big question emerges: Why have so many fallen sick in the first place?

* * * * *
I have wanted this book since FOREVER and one day while browsing the bookstore I found it and I begged my parents to buy it for me/ convincing them on how I have been searching for this book everywhere, and they did buy it. 

I had high expectations on this book because I've been hearing good things about it. And when they said that this book was Hunger Games meets The Amazing Race (TV show) meets Pokemon. I love Pokemon and I enjoy watching The Amazing Race so I thought this would be a great read. 

But. They didn't mention how annoying the main character was and how this book was VERY similar to hunger games. Even I, who haven't read the books noticed the similarities. 

From the start, I was really annoyed by the main character. She loves herself so much. I mean, It's good to love yourself but she's just so obsessed with her appearance. And she judges and hates other girls who look better than her. There was one scene (This is not a spoiler that leads to clues on what would happen as the book progressed) the contestants were given this bag with some supplies (hunger games right there) and they were you know, starving and in need of some food and stuff. And she was like:

For a fleeting moment, before the woman speaks, I pray that the orange pack I’m wearing holds Chanel makeup. And a brush. And a mirror.

You're in the middle of nowhere and you pray that there's makeup in your bag? 

I'm just really frustrated about her.... sometimes. There's some redeeming qualities about her.
But this is me, most of time while I'm reading about her and her makeup and not focusing on what she was there for:

Anyway moving on. The love interest. His name is. GUY. No offense but, who names their kid Guy? That name reminds me so much of Guy from The Croods (It's a movie if you didn't know) He knows everything just like Guy in The Croods. There were some lines wherein the other characters would say:

What do we do know, Guy?

Well Victoria, did you really get that from The Croods? That Irked me a lot. And, I just don't get Guy. Sometimes I like him, sometimes I hate him.

Basically, I didn't connect with the characters. Oh I forgot, Bad World building. I was "Okay" with the world building but not satisfied. Some questions are still lying around waiting to be answered.

I lowered my rating with this because I read this book review that there was The Perpetuation Of Rape Culture presented in this book. I didn't know what that was, I mean, Rape is such a dark subject and I don't like reading about it or watching it in the news or any form of talking about it.

 And I remember that scene very clearly wherein she portrayed the perfect way to be a victim. Here is what the rules that a University studied on this subject: 

1. When spoken to, a woman must acknowledge the other person with a gracious smile.
2. Women must answer questions asked of them.
3. Women must not bother other people or make a scene because they are uncomfortable.
4. When in trouble, it is best to defer to the protection and judgment of men.
5. Casual touching or suggestive comments in social settings are meant as a tribute to a woman’s desirability.
6. It is the natural state of affairs for men to carry the financial burden of social situations.
7. When engaged in a social encounter, it is not proper for a woman to superior in any game, sport or discussion if she wants to be accepted.
8. Women should always accept and trust the kindness of strangers if they offer help.

All those numbers, except number 6 was demonstrated. And with this book review, it helped me realize how uncomfortable this book is and it does not live up to the hype.  Click here, for the book review that explained it better than I did. 

The good thing about this book is, It's fast paced. And I really like fast paced books and the plot kept on going so Thumbs Up for that. The Pandoras were cute and amazing. I enjoyed this book to be honest. But not the best book I've read. 

I learned that I should never expect so high in books since I get let down in the end. It happens a lot. 


3 BANANAS


No comments:

Post a Comment