Tuesday, April 7, 2015

The Kiss Of Deception by Mary E. Pearson; Book Review


Publisher: Henry Holt
Publication date: July 8th 2014
Number of pages: 489
Format: Hardcover
Goodreads description: A princess must find her place in a reborn world.
She flees on her wedding day.
She steals ancient documents from the Chancellor's secret collection.
She is pursued by bounty hunters sent by her own father.
She is Princess Lia, seventeen, First Daughter of the House of Morrighan.

The Kingdom of Morrighan is steeped in tradition and the stories of a bygone world, but some traditions Lia can't abide. Like having to marry someone she's never met to secure a political alliance.

Fed up and ready for a new life, Lia flees to a distant village on the morning of her wedding. She settles in among the common folk, intrigued when two mysterious and handsome strangers arrive—and unaware that one is the jilted prince and the other an assassin sent to kill her. Deceptions swirl and Lia finds herself on the brink of unlocking perilous secrets—secrets that may unravel her world—even as she feels herself falling in love.



* * * * *


Hello wonderful people! I'm here today to give you a review on The kiss of Deception which you may know by now because of how hyped this book is. I read this book for one of my goodreads group, Read-A-Long with PriceIsWong. To say, I enjoyed this book. 

We're switching POV's in this book. The main POV is Lia's, then sometimes we come to the POV's of the assassin and the Prince. I heard that, that would happen but I didn't know how it would turn out. It could either be a horrible exchange of POV's or a very good one. And it was a good one indeed. 

Mary E. Pearson's writing was beautiful. I love that she describes things wonderfully. But the plot was rather slow. Basically, most of this book we're trying to figure out who the assassin is, and who the prince is. Well, I knew who it was and I was on, maybe page 150 or so. And, I was right. And that ''plot twist'' that people are talking about, I don't even know what plot twist it was. I mean, I guessed it and i was not even halfway the book! 
Basically me after it was revealed:



Going into this story, I didn't know what to expect. I just knew that a princess flees and a assassin was sent to kill her. And that's it. If you think this book is full of BAM BAM ACTION, then you're wrong. This wasn't action packed as I expected it would be but there was some things that was happening to keep me interested. Or maybe the slow plot was fitting for my slumpish mood.

I'm very impressed with Mary E. Pearson. Since, she made her own language for, you can say they're a clan(?) or those people in a certain land. Which was very cool and i'm just thinking the struggle she went through to make all those words up. 

There's a love triangle in this book if you didn't know. But in a way, it's not a love triangle. Get it? On this book though, I didn't know who I was really rooting for. The characters were likable. But, I didn't see layers of their personalities. It feels that they were so unrealistic. 

I had no problem with the world building. Everything about Lia's continent was clearly presented to us. Mary E. Pearson thoroughly thought of these different cultures that was presented into this book.



The only problem I had with this book was that, the plot was slow and it was very predictable. The first few pages was fast paced, so was the last twenty five pages. I didn't love this book but I really enjoyed it :) I'm sure to be reading the next book :) 



3.5 BANANAS


No comments:

Post a Comment