Thursday, May 14, 2015

I'LL GIVE YOU THE SUN BY JANDY NELSON; BOOK REVIEW

Publisher: Dial Books
Publication date: September 11th of 2014
Format: Kindle Edition
Number of Pages: 384
Goodreads description: Jude and her twin brother, Noah, are incredibly close. At thirteen, isolated Noah draws constantly and is falling in love with the charismatic boy next door, while daredevil Jude cliff-dives and wears red-red lipstick and does the talking for both of them. But three years later, Jude and Noah are barely speaking. Something has happened to wreck the twins in different and dramatic ways... Until Jude meets a cocky, broken, beautiful boy, as well as someone else- an even more unpredictable new force in her life. The early years are Noah's story to tell. The later years are Jude's. What the twins don't realize is that they each have only half the story, and if they could find their way back to one another, they'd have a chance to remake their world.

* * * * *

I want to start of by saying, that I love this book and it deserves all the hype it gets. If you read the goodreads description of this book, the one above, it's okay. I won't blame you. Because I highly suggest you dive into this book blind. The way I did it. All I knew before diving into this wonderful book, it that the main characters are twins. Which is pretty cool since I haven't read a book with main characters that are Twins.  But in today's review, I'm just gonna tell you guys how great this book is. And some bits and pieces of what's in the book. Annnnnd no, this review is spoiler free :)

The writing was beautiful. You'll go like this, just by the writing:


You can see as you read the book that Jandy Nelson put some hard work into this novel. The metaphors, every description totally fits into the scene. The writing style is poetic and Jandy Nelson describes everything so wonderfully in a way it's very creative. 

You will fall in love with the characters. These characters were just so amazing. Noah and Jude are flawed and complex characters. We get every crazy, messed-up and weird thought in their heads. You get to see what they've been through in different stages in their life. And it's just so inspiring and wonderful. 

The art in this book is like a second character. It was so wonderful how art shapes these characters. How art changes them, strengthens them and makes them realize and understand. 

There's romance in this book and it's not the main focus of the story. But it's there and it was amazing. I didn't know that this book is also in the LGBT genre. I don't read a lot of LGBT and it's not the genre that I really want to go into. I don't know why. But this book, has a very realistic LGBT romance. This is what I expect from LGBT teens relationship. If you don't like LGBT then maybe this book will get you into that genre. 

Overall, this book was a jewel. Jandy Nelson truly understands how grief changes a family and how art can save and remake us. Surely, best books I've read in 2015. If you want all the feels, joy, sadness and laughter at once, then read this book. I cannot give this book enough stars. I'd give this book the sun if I could.

5 BANANAS



No comments:

Post a Comment