Sunday, April 26, 2015

STEELHEART BY BRANDON SANDERSON; BOOK REVIEW

Publication date: January 1st of 2013
Publisher: Orion Books
Number of Pages: 386
Format: Paperback
Goodreads Description: Ten years ago, Calamity came. It was a burst in the sky that gave ordinary men and women extraordinary powers. The awed public started calling them Epics. But Epics are no friend of man. With incredible gifts came the desire to rule. And to rule man you must crush his wills.

Nobody fights the Epics...nobody but the Reckoners. A shadowy group of ordinary humans, they spend their lives studying Epics, finding their weaknesses, and then assassinating them.

And David wants in. He wants Steelheart - the Epic who is said to be invincible. The Epic who killed David's father. For years, like the Reckoners, David's been studying, and planning - and he has something they need. Not an object, but an experience.

He's seen Steelheart bleed. And he wants revenge.
 




* * * * *
This book wasn't on the top of my priority list but I read it since it's staring at me while sitting on my shelf. And I need to get out of my reading slump because Dewey's 24 Hour read-a-thon was coming up.

This book started fast paced and I really enjoyed it. But then when I was in the middle part of the book it was slow. That pacing reminds me so much of Mistborn (Brandon Sanderson also wrote that book, if you didn't know) By the near end of the book, the plot started to pick the pace up, just like Mistborn. 

The problem that I had with this book is that i keep on wandering off while reading it. Like the Reckoners jumps into this confusing conversation with this hard words that i know nothing of then my mind just wanders off while i'm reading. Do you guys get that? You're probably like this right now,


Like you're reading the words and stuff but you're not absorbing it. That happened a lot to me in the middle part of this book. 

The plot is actually, very similar to Mistborn. (Why do i keep on comparing these two books?) They're trying to overthrow Steelheart, and the middle part of this book (actually most of it) consists of them, planning. (Very similar to Mistborn indeed)  This book made me think though. There's different thinks that were happening and you're just trying to figure things out like the characters. 

I enjoyed all the characters in this book and loved them dearly. There's one character that made me suspicious about him/her (Not gonna say it cause maybe you would too and it could ruin the book for you) and I didn't like that character in the beginning but i started to warm up to him/her.

David, the main character, is really smart and funny at times (Not like Cody though) Him and his failed metaphors. And I love that Cody has this Scottish accent (Cody is part of the Reckoners group) it's really funny. I give him a thumbs up.



The setting, for me, was hard to imagine. Since everything is turned into Steel and the place is covered with darkness. I mean how can they see where they're going and such? There are times that it was difficult for me to imagine the things that were being said in the book too.

But, you know when Brandon Sanderson always catches you off guard? 

Nope. I totally didn't see it coming. 

This book really had some twists and turns that I didn't expect. I thought I knew what would happen but I actually do not. Overall, it was such a great read. Brandon Sanderson never fails to surprise me. For all those who love superheroes and maybe if you're looking for a great read, I would recommend this :)


4 BANANAS

No comments:

Post a Comment