Thursday, April 16, 2015

The Duff by Kody Keplinger; Book Review

Publisher: Little Brown/Poppy
Publication date: September 7th 2010
Number of pages: 300
Format: Kindle Edition
Goodreads Description: Seventeen-year-old Bianca Piper is cynical and loyal, and she doesn’t think she’s the prettiest of her friends by a long shot. She’s also way too smart to fall for the charms of man-slut and slimy school hottie Wesley Rush. In fact, Bianca hates him. And when he nicknames her “Duffy,” she throws her Coke in his face.

But things aren’t so great at home right now. Desperate for a distraction, Bianca ends up kissing Wesley. And likes it. Eager for escape, she throws herself into a closeted enemies-with-benefits relationship with Wesley.
Until it all goes horribly awry. It turns out that Wesley isn’t such a bad listener, and his life is pretty screwed up, too. Suddenly Bianca realizes with absolute horror that she’s falling for the guy she thought she hated more than anyone. 




* * * * *
Where do I start? Okay, so I watched the movie first before reading the book. I know, I know. But I heard that it was very different from the book so I thought it won't really spoil anything except the ending. I enjoyed the movie, but I was sad that they didn't follow the book since the book really had that depth into it.

I didn't expect a lot from this book. I wasn't even planning to read this, but my goodreads group has this for their book of he month pick. I expected this book to be pure fun, just like the movie. But I was completely wrong. 

This book was beautiful. This book was so much more than it shows. It's about family, friends, finding yourself, labels and the other people that are around you. 
Well me:

The characters were amazing. Bianca was hilarious and sarcastic. And I instantly connected with her. The only problem is, I sometimes get frustrated with her decisions. I want to smack her head so that she would think through on what she was doing. 

Bianca's friends, Casey and Jessica were wonderful. They were so much different and they stepped out of that blonde cheerleader stereotype. There was one character that didn't work well with me. Since he's too ''perfect'' and there seem to be nothing wrong with him. I won't tell you his name because I want you guys to find him yourself. 

Then there's Wesley. Oh, Wesley. Basically me and every girl who have read this book and maybe watched the movie:

He was such a jerk in the beginning and I didn't understand him at all. But character development happened and it was beautiful.

The plot was always moving. There were different plot lines that were weaved together. You will never get bored and you can't keep yourself from laughing out loud. But, this book is very very predictable from the very beginning. Those bad boys and perfect guys blah blah stuff are in here. 

Overall, it was a fun and touching book. I would recommend this to teenagers since this book is targeted for teenagers and they can likely relate to the characters and the story itself.

 It has, a teenage like writing style, since we are hearing from Bianca's perspective so if you don't like that, then maybe this book isn't for you. But I really would like for people to try reading this book. It has a very strong message. And it's just wonderful. Kody Keplinger did a very good job right here :) I will definitely read other books by her :)

4.5 BANANAS





1 comment:

  1. I have yet to read the book and watch the movie, but I am quite excited to do both. I have heard that the book has much more depth to it than the movie, but this review hasn't tell reaffirmed this. Cannot wait to pick it up!

    http://madelinejohnstonauthor.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete