Thursday, March 19, 2015

THE FINAL EMPIRE BY BRANDON SANDERSON; BOOK REVIEW

Publisher: Gollancz
Publication date: October 1, 2009
Number of Pages: 647
Format: Paperback
Goodreads description: In a world where ash falls from the sky, and mist dominates the night, an evil cloaks the land and stifles all life. The future of the empire rests on the shoulders of a troublemaker and his young apprentice. Together, can they fill the world with colour once more?



* * * * *
I read this book in a whim, I read it in my ebook since I can't find a physical copy of it that has the edition that I wanted. This book has been hyped on booktube, bookstagram, everywhere. So I thought, "Why not give it a shot?" 
But then, I saw how small the font is! And I was very intimidated and hesitated on reading it. And obviously, I read it anyway. Fear not the big books my friends! 

I'm such a fan on fantasy books, but I never tried reading High Fantasy. I guess I was very scared to try. But this book, made me love fantasy even more! 

The goodreads description doesn't say much, so I'm gonna explain to you guys what this book is really about. This book doesn't have dragons or dwarfs and stuff like that. The world in this book, has people who can perform "allomancy". Not all people can be an allomancer, since you have to be born by another allomancer in your family. These people eat metals and burn it to perform allomancy. There's 10 different kinds of metals that you burn and has a different use. But only a few people can burn all 10 metals, these people are called Mistborns. There are also some people who can burn only 1 type of metal, they are called Mistings. 

When first getting into this book, it was hard for me to kinda memorize the different metals and it's use. Since, I'm using an ebook. I didn't know that there's a chart at the last page, yey me. But I got through it and sort of memorized them, and it was easy for me to dive into the book.

One of our protagonists, Vin, is a Mistborn but she doesn't know about her ability. She's a street urchin and is part of a thieving crew. She's very mistreated on that crew, basically nobody gives a crap about her. But then, she somehow got involved into this new crew. And on this crew, they have this big plan on overthrowing the Lord Ruler. I know, pretty intense huh.

It was hard for me on a couple of pages at first, since I didn't know what they were talking about. But then, because of Brandon Sanderson's very good world building, I got through it. There was one scene, at the first chapter or maybe 2nd chapter, I don't know, that was so hard for me. Since one of the protagonists (not Vin) was using allomancy and I didn't understand any of it. But after that scene, I pretty much mastered allomancy in my head.

I fell in love with the characters in this book. Kelsier, who is part of the new crew that Vin got herself in, was an amazing character! He's a very secretive character, we really don't know a thing on what he is really thinking. And all of the people who is part of the crew is so awesome and fabulous.

The plot was what kept me going. Brandon Sanderson just creates this wonderful plots that either take you down or impress you because you wouldn't think it would be coming. This book is full of twists and turns that you didn't expect.


 This book will make you feel emotionally drained as well. Some parts are very depressing, some parts are just wow.
Basically,


If you're hesitating on reading this book, please don't hesitate. Read it, don't be intimidated by it's size. This book is fast paced and will not bore you. If you're a fan of fantasy, you would be impressed at this book. If you aren't, well you will be a fan of fantasy after reading this book. I can't wait to read the next book in this series, and I will totally buy the physical copy of it!


5 BANANAS

No comments:

Post a Comment